Thursday 30 June 2016

Act of kindess

Let me start by saying this isn't a political blog and I'm not about to go off on a huge rant about every event of last week, this blog is more of a plea for sanity and good sense.

We all can admit that the aftermath of the leave vote is shaking us a bit, no matter what your vote was you can't  deny the worrying events that unfolded. While politicians play us like marionettes and have a shouting match while circling around the PM throne like a kettle of vultures, it's the little person that suffers, it's always the little person.

The vote has opened up a cesspit of hate and pure anger, it's seem like xenophobia, racism and homophobia have been given the green light. Don't get me wrong the anger and racism were always there but this is a new level and some feel they do not need to control it anymore.
We cannot go backwards to the hate crimes of the 70s and 80s, to the fear and inequality, we came too far to let this destroy us. It's more important than ever for kindness and good sense to win, because the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm an immigrant from Poland, I came here many years ago, in fact I've lived here far longer than in the country I was born in. This is my home, this is were I have build a life, contributed to the economy and tried to be a good citizen. Poland gave me my wonderful childhood and very difficult teenage-hood but Britain shaped me into the adult I'm today. When the vote to leave EU was announced I have to admit I took it very personally, it felt as if I was told to pack up bags and that I'm no longer welcome in my home. It hurt like hell and it still does. After crying sea worth of tears for the unknown to come, for the uncertainty of our future and I have to admit a bit of self pity I had to slap myself and snap out of it when I saw what this vote has unleashed.

The reports of attacks have started that very Friday. Polish, Muslim, Pakistani and any other person who looks ''different'' was told to go home by some neo Nazi. It now has been a week and  shops are being burned down , people beaten , children abused and scared. It seems that no one is safe unless you fall into ''normal'' category set by some far-right nut. Those incidents are just the tip of the iceberg, the next more horrific than the last. No one deserves this kind of treatment for being of a different race, sexuality or nationality. This cannot continue, otherwise the hate will overtake, let we forget the murder of MP Jo Cox whilst she was out campaigning for equality and freedom for us all.

We all know someone of different race, religion, nationality, whether it's our neighbor, friend, co-worker, post man, local shop keeper, please let them know how important they are to you and this country, don't let them feel that they are unwelcome in the country they call home. Be kind to your fellow man, I don't mean start hugging people on the train , because that's just weird and no one really appreciates a weirdo, just be kind. Please remember no country ever won a war by itself, we need each other. Our grandfathers stood shoulder to shoulder fighting for our freedom and countries, lets not destroy everything they gave their lives to protect.

Please do not stand by and watch hate crime happen, there's been some very helpful websites set up to guide you on how to help, this one for example is very good: http://www.unitedagainstracism.org/archive/pages/info30.htm

Thank you all for listening and normal programming shall be resumed very shortly!



Anna xx

No comments:

Post a Comment