Monday 6 May 2013

Bath Mat...........

 My bathroom requires some serious dose of colour, but we both don't really have time for painting and decorating at the moment, so instead I decided to add colour with accessories. One of them is this lovely bath mat that I just finished. It was the most economical item I have ever made!!

I have used just standard household cotton string, which you can buy in any DIY shops, medium weight which is around aran weight (around 500 meters), a 5mm (US H/8) crochet hook and fabric dye, if you want to change colour.
The pattern is just standard Afghan Square, which goes as follows:

Abbreviations
Ch - chain
Ch-sp - chain space
Dc (US sc) - double crochet (US single crochet)
Tr (US dc) - treble (US double crochet)
Ss - slip stitch

Foundation ring: with 5mm (US H/8) crochet hook make 8ch and join with ss to form a ring.
Round 1: 3ch ( counts as first tr), 1tr in ring, (7ch, ss in top of last tr, 5tr in ring) 3 times, 7ch, ss in top of last tr, 3tr in ring, ss in 3rd of first 3ch.
Round 2: Ss into first 7-ch space, 4 ch, 2tr into 7-ch space (3ch, 3tr) 3 times into same 7-ch space, * miss next 2 tr, ss into next tr, miss next 2 tr, [(3tr, 3ch) 3 times, 3tr] all in next 7-ch space; rep from * until all 7-ch sp have been worked, miss next 2 tr, ss into next tr, miss next 2 tr, ss in 4th of first 4ch.
Round 3: ss to first 2 tr and 3-ch space, *4ch, (1dc, 3ch, 1dc) all in the next 3-ch space, 4ch, 1 dc in next 3-ch space, 5ch, 1 dc in next 3-ch space; rep from * until all spaces have been worked, ending the last repeat with 5 ch, ss to first of 4ch.
Round 4: 3ch, *4tr in next 4-ch space, 1tr in next dc , (2tr, 2ch, 2tr) all in next 3-ch space, 1tr in next dc, 4tr in next 4-ch space, 1tr in next dc, 1ch, 1dc in next 5-ch space, 1ch, 1tr in next dc; rep from * ss in 3rd of first 3ch.
Fasten off.


 Each square measures approximately 16x16 cm, the finished mat measures around 85x50cm.
I have made 15 squares and joined with double crochet and worked one round of double crochet around the border.

The colour of the string is lovely and natural but my bathroom has far too much light colours so decided to dye the bath mat with nice chocolate brown, as you can see Ollie approves of the mat as well.


I've attached a lining, scrap of linen fabric I had lying around, no particular reason i just wanted slightly lighter colour showing through the spaces.


Huzzar!! Finished :) I absolutely love it!!




 
Enjoy

Anna x







7 comments:

  1. Hi!Beautiful square motif and a nice thing to make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, this is something that is well worth the effort! I have been toying with making my own bath mat as the ones we purchase are less than appealing....now I no reason to put it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, so glad you like it. I'm in the process of making another one at the moment, it's so quick and easy I just can't help myself :) x

      Delete
  3. Fabulous and thank you for sharing, was the string hard on your hands to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Not at all, it was cotton so very manageable :)

      Delete
  4. This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles,I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here! Bath Mat

    ReplyDelete